East Bay Auto Collision Center has Some Insight
Being involved in an auto accident is often quite traumatizing, but when you’re a victim of a hit-and-run collision, the trauma is indescribable. According to AAA, an average 682,000 hit-and-run collisions have occurred every year since 2006.
Some of the most common reasons for a hit-and-run collision include:
- Shock or the fear of facing an angry motorist
- Lack of insurance or a driving license
- Prior convictions
- Driving with a revoked or a suspended license
- Potential to avoid liability especially if there are no witnesses or cameras
Steps to take after a hit-and-run collision
1. Pull to the side and try to get as much information as possible
Leaving the accident scene compromises your ability to prove who was at fault. Instead, stay calm and collect details such as:
– The vehicle’s color, make, and model
– Cause, location, and time the collision took place
– The driver’s description if you saw him
– Most importantly, the vehicle’s license plate number
2. Take photos of your car’s damage
Document the extent of damage to your car by taking close-up photos of the damaged areas and the scene of the accident. These will come in handy when you are explaining to the police and your insurer what happened.
3. File a police report
Though it might seem like a minor accident, you will need to report the collision to the authorities. Even though the police might not trace the hit-and-run driver, filing a police report could work in your favor when it comes to your insurance claim.
4. Report the accident to your insurer
In the case of a hit-and-run collision, the other driver is not available, which means that your insurer will be responsible for the damages to your car. Your insurer will guide you through the claim filing process and help you secure a rental car.
5. Seek the services of a reputable auto body shop
Driving your vehicle after a hit-and-run accident not only jeopardizes your safety, but it could also magnify the damage to your car. A reliable collision repair will evaluate the condition of your car and recommend the necessary repairs.
Contact Our Oakland Collision Repair Center For Help
If you experience a hit-and-run incident in the East Bay area, visit Shattuck Auto, a renowned East Bay auto body shop. Our auto body shop near Piedmont has highly trained technicians and uses advanced diagnostic equipment, ensuring that we fully assess the extent of damage caused by the collision.